Government of Somaliland (GoSL)
Public Financial Management Capacity Strengthening Project
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANTS)
Terms of Reference (TOR)
Term of Reference of SAI Technical Advisor
||Office of the Auditor General
|Duration of Assignment
The Government of Somaliland has received Additional Financing from the World Bank towards the implementation of the Domestic Revenue Mobilization (DRM) and Public Financial Management (PFM) Capacity Strengthening Project. The overall project development objective (PDO) is to ‘strengthen systems of domestic revenue mobilization, expenditure control and accountability in Somaliland.
Somaliland public financial management reforms has been improving since the establishment of the contemporary Somaliland in 1991. In addition, significant improvements have been done for the current years mainly due to changes in various Legislations and Regulations. These legislation and regulation changes include the Constitution, Public Finance and Management Law No 75/2016, Somaliland Financial Regulation, and Comprehensive Operating, Accounting and Procedures Manual 2019 developed Pursuant to the Public Finance and Management Law No 75/2016. These new legislations, regulations, policies, and manuals provide the Budget process in line with international best practices.
Consistent with its National Development Plan II, the Government of Somaliland (GoSL) is in the process of reviewing its revenue laws, regulations and procedures and undertaking reforms and modernization efforts to ensure enhanced efficiency and optimal productivity. As part of its continuous improvement drive, the GoSL through the Domestic Revenue Mobilization (DRM) and Public Financial Management (PFM) Capacity Strengthening Project, requires the services of a technical adviser Website Developer for the Auditor General Office. .
The Somaliland National Audit Office is also known as a ‘Supreme Audit Institution’ (SAI) is established to provide support to the Auditor-General in performing his duties as required by the Constitution and the National Audit Act 76/2016.
The primary function of the Auditor-General is to conduct audits on all public entities in Somaliland and produce public reports on those audits. These reports are variously tabled in the Public Accounts Committee and the House of Representatives. These reports are also available for public scrutiny.
The Somaliland National Audit Office seeks consultant with competent skills and expertise to design and develop a website that offers a visible web presence for the National Audit Office.
The Website will be used as a mechanism to promote the works of the Auditor-General, by providing timely information and audit reports for the public. Additionally, the website will be used as an avenue to get public opinion on any audit reports published and as a tool to communicate and discuss audit findings with the audited entities.
- Scope of Work
The consultant will develop an Auditor General Website and Citizen App/portal, in accordance with the Auditor General Strategy and Implementation Plan. This will entail creating an online information platform which effectively enables sharing of information related to Auditor General’s processes, laws, policies, programs, including audit opinions and etc.
- Consultations with the Auditor General on website content, functionality and web architecture, design and graphics including:
- Home: Landing page will include a slideshow banner of a number of images including internal and external users (Protected Areas), latest news, events and a register/login capacity for management access to the Restricted Areas, registration for external users and other Information available.
- About Us- General information on the Auditor General office, such as mandate, organizational structure, and relationship to other institutions
- Get Involved: Partnerships and Concessions, Vacancies, Contact.
- Easily accessible content relating to Audit Information, such as Audit process and Audited financial statement and other relevant reports;
- Public information regarding laws, procedures, regulations and process issues such as Constitution, PFM Act, Comprehensive operating, accounting and procedures manual [COAPACT] and etc.
- Citizens EYE Portal – which will help citizens to interact with audit office and Report an Issue
- Audit Reports Section
- Links to important national and international partners’ websites, relevant social media mediums, such as Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc., and other appropriate related sites as required.
- Feedback section.
- A powerful and smart internal search engine that present results in a user-friendly and structured way and strong meta-tags for search engine optimization
- Simple design suitable for slow internet connections and access from mobiles
- Update functions for regular maintenance
- Tracking counter to enable staff to track and assess the number of visitors to the website and also determine which sections of the website are popular
- Creation of ‘Restricted information’, accessed via private login with strong privacy settings and secured access, with the following features
- Registration and verification of Protected Areas management staff for access to the ‘Protected Area Information Unit
- Ticket collection control reporting and supervision.
- An online submission system allowing users to easily upload and update information, such as technical quarterly, annual reports etc., and contribute to the knowledge base
- Design, development and launch of the website
- Development of back-end databases
- Development of templates
- Development of live demo for consultation purposes
- Development of final design and testing of design
- Upload of source code information to servers
- Advise the Auditor General on the necessary procedures and mechanisms for management of data on the website and training
- Recommend procedures for website updating and content management
- Recommend procedures for checking accuracy of links and uploaded documents, reviewing
- content, and removing outdated announcements
- Provide training on recommended procedures
The consultant will develop the Auditor General website in English in consultation with the government, and to work with translators from the Government of Somaliland to develop a mirror website into Somali language.
Generally the website will have the following main features which will be checked against the final deliverable.
Additional functionality: the website should have a user authenticated cite which will manage the Auditor General Project activities with the following features:
Insightful dashboard for stats
Based on Projects
Create and manage all your auditing projects in one place. Create, assign, and track
Each project will have tasks. And admin can assign tasks to one or multiple users
Track Auditor performance
you can enable clients’ portals to let clients see the progress of their projects and upload required documents.
every agent can track his time spent on tasks and every task has a dedicated timesheet.
Every task has its own timesheet.
Milestones will help you to group your tasks together.
this will help you to track the time you have spent on a project
Multi File Upload and File commenting
on all projects you can upload any kind of files.
Audit Files Templates
Create just fill out templates for daily tasks and projects, instead of using Word or PDF.
Document upcoming projects.
Calendar to track events.
A detailed report per project, task, or user performance or
User Activity Widget
See who is online and what users are doing, the time the logged in or logged out
Get email notifications on new messages, project assignments etc.
User Access Management
Control the access of your agents to the different modules. Super admin can control everything, each user will only see what they supposed to see only
never lose any data again! The system will have backup routines.
Send private messages to admins and clients.
Auditor ID Generation
ID generation system for users, auditors
Auditor Verification System
Public place to verify auditors.
Public place to report corruption.
Front Page Management
Place to add, edit, create news, polls, images
Working in close collaboration with the Auditor General and PFM Coordinator, the selected consultant will:
Task 1: Create Information Platform Outline
Prepare an outline of the functionality of the proposed platform, demonstration of search ability, and initial design ideas. This must take into account the budget allocated, making provisions for trade-offs, and prioritization of functionality and/or phased implementation. It should also take into consideration the findings of the need’s assessment conducted in Task 1.
Task 2: Prepare a Detailed Information Platform Specification
On approval of the information platform and based on a requirement analysis facilitated by the Auditor General Office and PFM Coordination office, develop a detailed specification for the information platform including:
- Overall structure, field definition and design
- Logical framework and user interface
- List of hardware and software needs to enable development and implementation.
Task 3: Information Platform Development
On approval of the detailed specification by the Auditor General and PFM Coordinator, undertake the information platform architecture, functionality and user interface development.
Task 4: Beta Testing
Upload a beta-version of the information platform to facilitate input of real project data and facilitate specific users’ access to identify outstanding issues with the structure and “usability”. Where issues are identified, undertake bug fixes and system revisions. An incremental version of the beta system may be required depending on the degree of bug fixes and system revisions required
Task 5: Domain Registration
Work with the MOF IT team to ensure domain name registration and webhosting, including email and data storage. The available SLFMIS/PFM infrastructure will be used for hosting and storage. The bidder will be required to indicate the prerequisites necessary to achieve this.
Task 6: System Release
On acceptance by the Auditor General of the rectified beta version and working with the MOF IT team, upload the full working system to open access to allow access by external users.
Task 7: Training in use and maintenance of the system
Provide training in use and maintenance of the system to persons to be named by the Auditor General. This would follow the allocation of responsibilities related to maintenance of the website. The consultant would also prepare a manual, documenting procedures to be followed, for continued population and maintenance of the website.
The website is considered to be divided into two parts. One for public users of the internet and the other is private for the exchange of information and cooperation between the management of different protectorates as follows.
- Protected Areas Network public online website
It should act as an information site accessing everyone including citizens. It should be fully functional, user-friendly, visually appealing and informative. It should include the prescribed content and design layout be agreed upon with Auditor General Office.
- ‘Protected Area Information Unit’ private online interface
It should also act as a user-friendly management tool for Protected Areas management, accessed through private, allowing for data storage, exchange of information, cooperation and communication between the management of different locations. This includes but is not limited to: a. online submission system b. control reporting and supervision
Phase A: Requirement Analysis and Specification
- In consultation with the Auditor General’s team, establish hat the system should precisely do and its development constraints.
- Surveys of previous and related work
- Document the system requirements, from the analysis
Phase B: Data Collection and Content Preparation
- Prepare content and concept draft for a bilingual, English and Somali, website in a detailed proposal to be provided in both soft and hard copies.
- Collect the required high-resolution quality images
- Conduct evaluation/validation meetings with Auditor General and PFM coordinator to receive suggestions and comments which should be incorporated by the Consultant without extra charge.
- Prepare final content and concept for website in both soft and hard copies based on comments from Auditor General and PFM Coordinator
Phase C: Design and Implementation
- Conceptual design using software management tools. The design should be flexible enough to be expanded for other functionalities in the future; especially for database manipulation and web mapping.
- Modern implementation of the website using the most impressive web technologies. P.S. The Consultant will be encouraged to make use of his expertise and creativity to propose and implement relevant website enhancements. Include strong metatags to ensure search ability.
Phase D: Operation and Maintenance
- Working with the MOF IT team, have domain name registration and webhosting including email and data storage on the available SLFMIS/PFM servers.
- Successfully launch of the website in a bilingual way.
- Conduct induction training for staff who will manage, maintain and update the website on the tasks necessary to properly and independently run the website.
- Test and fix errors.
- Test search ability of website and adjust meta-tags accordingly.
- Maintain website functionality, systematically fixing errors and providing support for staff with questions.
Note: Some issues should be negotiated with the Auditor General like domain name, CMS etc
The consultant shall deliver the following in both soft and hard copy:
- Output 1: Information Platform Outline.
- Output 2: Detailed Information Platform Specification, including recommended hardware and software needs.
- Output 3: Beta-version of full system (and any incremental beta versions required by the Auditor General).
- Output 4: Fully deployed online version of the website and related functionality.
- Output 5: The website application commented source code with any other related files that are used in the designing phase (e.g. flv flash file, psd adobe Photoshop, databases, UML Diagrams, DFD, Database schema, Database ERD, …etc).
- Output 6: A complete user guide document or manual.
- Output 7: A complete developer guide with all its related work (e.g. a complete list of all programs and software with their versions that are used in the designing and implementation phases, database design, flow diagrams,etc).
- Output 8: Training for website maintenance and updating.
The Auditor General Office will be responsible for review of the outputs and for giving feedback in a timely manner.
- Working Relationships
The Consultant will be based at the OAG, performing his/her duty in accordance with TOR and Contract. The work of this expert will be supervised by AG and to whom he delegates it. Expert will be working with Counterpart staff from OAG to ensure know-how transfer and sustainability.
- Must have Bachelor Degree of IT, with special certifications on Front-End Language: HTML5, CSS3, Java Script, jQuery, react.
- Knowledge of Backend Language: Node Js, Python, PHP (web programming)
- Good knowledge on Server Architecture
- Good knowledge with database systems SQL, SQL Server, MYSQL, Mango-DB.
The consultant shall have the following experience which is a requirement for the web developer:
- Having at least three years’ work experienced in the field of IT as a website designer/developer;
- Web Developer should demonstrate experience in the performance of similar services as follows:
- Thorough functional knowledge and coding experience
- Basic knowledge of Search Engine Optimization
- Ability to multitask with strict time constraints, budgets and business goals
- Strong communication skills
- Management experience or examples that show ability to manage a team, should this role involve team management
- General Skills/Other Requirements
- Must have a solid understanding of user experience (UI/UX) design and Adaptive/Responsive Design for cross-platform/devices such as tablet and mobile phone.
- Proven ability to build and refine graphic designs for websites. Must have strong skills in Photoshop, illustrator, Figma, Sketch or equivalent application(s).
- Proven history of previously developed websites.
- Proven ability to manage web development projects effectively and accurately on meeting project deliverables. Engage in outside-the-box thinking to provide higher value for money.
- Must use code control like GitHub, Bit bucket (Recommended)
- Must know how to automate deployment process and setup/configure VPS
- Must have extensive experience on Linux and Linux commands to deploy and run the server.
- Terms of Payment
- 30% upon submission & acceptance of the website data content according to specifications and web graphic design specifications and website interface design.
- 30% upon finalizing website Beta-version soft launch on the web, and providing the required training to Auditor General administrators on operating the site.
- 40%upon acceptance of the Auditor General and PFM Coordinator to the final launching of the website with all features fully operational according to specifications and after successful final launch and troubleshooting any bugs or errors that might occur during operation on the initial maintenance period.
- profession in English language
- Knowledge of Somali language is required
- Reporting and Other Deliverables
The Website Developer will directly report to Auditor General and will provide monthly progress status reports to the PFM Project Coordinator.
- Location, Duration and Facilities
- Starting period and duration of assignment:
Indicative start date is 1st October 2021
The contract is expected to run for a period of six months.
- Location of the assignment
The duty station is Hargeisa, Somaliland.
- Facilities to be provided
The Office of Auditor General will provide the Consultant with office facilities, internet connectivity, essential utilities, office services, stationery and office supplies and use of a computer, printer, scanner and photocopying etc. In addition, the Office of Auditor General will make available to the consultant copies of all the documents the Consultant may need to discharge his functions; and will assist the Consultant in liaising with all agencies of government and sector ministries under the project and with other agencies of government on matters related to the project.
The project will also provide transport to the Consultant as required for their official duties.